Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Google Reader update

A while back I posted that I was going to try Google Reader. After using it for a while I highly recommend it. It has cut down on my start time in the morning by seeing what is new in the blogs I'm interested in. I feel like I'm more up to date on what's happening around me. Before I used it, I had just about reached my limit of the number of blogs I could look at. Now if there is one good article that I catches my attention, I will subscribe to the blog to see if more come out. It saves me a lot of time not having to see if something has updated, instead I get told. In fact I can see just now that Patrick updated his blog with a new entry. I love that. I'm not sure how it compares to the other tools out there, but right now it does everything I need so I'm not looking at other tools.

One thing I really don't like is when people use the summary function and I have to click through to their blog. I've completely switched on this issue. I use to prefer being on their page, but now, it just slows me down. There are only a few blogs that are using this function and I rarely go to those blogs. Is almost to the point where I want to unsubscribe. The issue is that the 2-5 sentences is not enough to grab my attention. There could be a great article behind it, but I will not find out because you are interrupting my work flow. So you are using this function, either hit a home run with your summary or you may want to reconsider using the feature.

3 comments:

jonchase said...

I can say from experience that Google Reader is the best reader out there (that I've found). I've tried a LOT, and now that Reader has search integrated, it's hands down the best. I used to use the Opera RSS reader which is very nice, but in the end, being able to access my feeds online from anywhere won out.

Chris said...

I guess I got luckly then by choosing to use it first. Yeah it does everything I want. And like you said having it online so I can access from any machine is really nice feature.

Anonymous said...

Desktop readers show you what's new too... If you don't read your feeds for a while though, then the new stuff piles up.

> Being able to access my feeds
> online from anywhere won out.

I think this is just paranoia and highly unproductive. You don't have to read everything everyone says. In fact, there is research (google it) which shows that looking very closely at the everyday details of what is happening is a sure way to miss the big picture!

In general, there isn't that much great content out there anyway. And most of it is what I call reflective babble talk.. Someone says something great and everyone reflects on that.