Thursday, October 25, 2007

Naming Contest

I'm in working like crazy to get my second product completed in two weeks but I don't have a name for it yet. So I thought I'd ask my readers if they have any idea. If I pick your name, you will get a free copy of the product. Let me describe what the product is.

I created the program to help with customer support. I have a strong background in search engines having worked with Lucene a lot. So I wrote a small app that allows me to enter issues/problems, the solution and a template response. When you get a customer service call, you can search your index for the matching or similar issue. Since it is based on a search engine, it ranks the results based on how relevant the results are so that the odds are the one you want will be on top. This is a big advantage of using the search engine over a database query.

I have both the solution and the template because the solution is for internal consumption. It can have things in it that you don't want to tell the customer, possibly a rant about the product, or links to bug reports, etc. The template is designed to be used in the response to the customer.

I also keep track of how many times that issue has come up so you can see if you need to improve the usability, add a feature, add inline help, etc. There will be some basic reporting features to view this data. At first it will be a single user solution, but I plan on making a multi user solution where they share the same index.

I hope to have a few screen shots up soon. Now that you have an idea of what it does, what would you name this product?

No comments: