Thursday, October 25, 2007

Burning the candle at both ends

First things first, the fires in San Diego county are in a much better state then when I last posted. My house has been in the clear since late Monday. With wild fires, that is not 100% true since you can't predict them, but I couldn't see any flames, glow or smoke and I was not in a mandatory evacuation zone. They are still burning but the tide is turning now.

So I went against most of the advice on a recent post on the BoS forum about working on two products at the same time. At that time I didn't think it would be a smart thing to do. Then a few days later I asked if I had a potential second product. I only had a few responses, but they were positive. I took the advice and decided to develop it in java. My goal is to have it wrapped up in two weeks. So far I'm on schedule to hit that deadline, but it has pushed back Web Work Schedules by at least two weeks.

If you are developing a java desktop app, do yourself a favor and go read Patrick McKenzie's blog from the beginning. It has saved me a whole lot of time and has improved the quality of my product.

No comments: