Monday, October 15, 2007

Broken Chain

Last month Nick Hebb posted a list of Seven Motivational Techniques for MicroISV’s. I had heard of the Jerry Seinfeld approach of using a calendar and placing an X on each day that you work on the project. I commented that I was going to try this technique and I did. I was going to go buy a wall sized year at a glance calendar at OfficeDepot or the like, but instead I remembered CalendarsThatWork.com and printed out exactly what I needed. A great easy service to use if you need any sort of calendar.

I started on October 1 and had a nice long string of X's going. But then I had to break the string. My family took a road trip to visit both my family and my in laws so I lost 4 days of work. Really 2 full days and a 2 partial days since I typically don't do a lot of work on the weekends. But it was not entirely wasted because I was showing my dad the application and noticed a bug with his browser. When I started his computer, I almost updated his browser (IE6 to IE7) but didn't and I'm glad. For some reason there was some rendering issues on a few of the screens. Its on my list to test more with other browsers besides IE7 and FF, I guess I need to start this sooner rather than later. There was a post on the BoS forums about testing with virtual servers and a few links to services that provided it. I can't find it now, if you remember it, could you post it in the comments. Is it just me or does the search function at BoS terrible? I have a background with search engines (Lucene) and it seems like this should be a slam dunk these days to implement. Someone needs to tell FogCreek about Lucene.NET.

A new week has started and a new chain of X's has begun.

No comments: