Tuesday, October 16, 2007

The downside of web application

Every browser is slightly different and will do different things. With the slew of javascript libraries and CSS tricks, you can avoid a lot of problems if you stick with the major browsers. But even then you are not safe. I am currently using PopBox, a javascript library for expanding thumbnail images to larger images. It is easy to use and provides a little flash to my site. I thought it was working perfectly, but it turns out, there are problems with the Safari browser, not Beta 3 for windows which I am able to test with. I want to give thanks to Tobin Schwaiger-Hastanan from Cupid's Lab who tested out several versions until I got it working with Safari. I also like to give credit to John Reid, the creator of PopBox. If you need a nice simple java script api to make your screen shots (or any images) pop, check out PopBox. John looked over my page and found out that Safari was having issues with the layout I was using and told me how to fix it. Now I need to get these and a few other changes wrapped up to so I can post it the server.


And then there is IE6. What a fun couple of days this has been. What I thought would be a simple fix has turned into a lot of pain. I've put it on hold while I work on other issues. It almost makes me wish I was making a desktop app instead of a webapp. Oh well. Back to work.

No comments: