Monday, October 29, 2007

Vacation - BIG problem for mISV

There is a post over at BoS http://discuss.joelonsoftware.com/default.asp?biz.5.557731.24 from a uISV'er about how to deal with vacations. So far I have not had this issue since I'm still doing contracting and do not live and die by my uISV. But I hope that one day that will be the case. But I was excited to read this post because it is validating my customer sevice app. This was one of the use cases I came up with when I thought of turning it into a product.

Lets say you have my app and have all the support issues documented, and you just need someone respond to the customers while you are gone. You hand them the app with your index and let them search the index of issues and respond with the templated responses. Granted you can do this with a word document or a bug tracker, but the key is that search.

My product is built entirely on a search engine. Search is what it does. If you had handed your support person a word document or bug tracker, they will be less likely to find the correct issue. This will lead to more questions/responses with the customer and overall poorer customer service. The reason they did not find the correct problem is because they are doing keyword searching only. It does not take into account fuzzy queries, wild card queries etc. And no weighting is done according to the quality of the match to order the results.

On the progress front, the app is 90% done. I've got one thing I need to change and I think it will be feature complete for version 1.0. I still need to put up a simple web site. I hope to have that done tomorrow so I can post on BoS and get some feedback.

No comments: