Friday, October 5, 2007

What I know about SEO

This will be a short post :)
I'm learning as I go. There is a lot of information if you google on SEO or anything like it. You can't go to Digg, Reddit or any other aggregator and not find at least one post on the front page about how to improve your SEO. The trouble is figuring what things are going to return the biggest return for you.

So far I'm relying on two sources of data to help me with starting my SEO. The first is a blog, MicroISV on a Shoestring by Patrick McKenzie. While he has lots of information, I'm starting with a single entry (On-page SEO for Small Companies)and working on that. This gives me a finite list of things that I can work on. I've already started on #1. The changes are not live yet. The source is called WebSite Grader. This gives you a basic run down of things you should be doing and gives you a score on how well you did. I ran it today and got score of 39/100. So now I have a baseline to work with.

The big problem I have is inbound links. I'm not sure how to get them. This blog created my first inbound link! 1 down many to go :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I think most people would recommend merging this blog with the one on your site. That way any link love your blog gets will help your site.

I think most people expect both a business and personal side on blogs these days. Plus, unless you're really diligent, trying to maintain two blogs will become a pain.

Because I tend to be more interested in blogging about microISV stuff, I'm slowly removing all the links from my site to my blog. Down the road, they will all be one way - from the blog to the main pages of the site. The way page rank works, that will boost the SEO importance of the product pages.

More importantly, though, visitors will be less likely to escape the sales funnel and meander off into blog reading la-la-land.

Chris said...

Nick,
I was wondering about maintaining two blogs. I figured the blog on the my site would be used more for discussing new releases, features, up coming events, etc. Basically, it would be a little sparce.

Are you saying it would be better to merge the two and host it here, or host it with the main site? My reason for setting it up here was have a slightly away from the main product. It gives a me a little more piece of mind that not every customer will read the blog. I don't think there would be anything to discourage a potential client, but it does expose the internals workings of my company (me) that you don't always want to promote loudly.

I noticed on your main site, you don't have any links that I could find to take you to your blog. If it was not for the link from BoS I wouldn't know where to find your blog. Is this the same you are suggesting for me?

Anonymous said...

I started thinking more about the funnel. My assumption is that if people come to my site via the hoe page or product page, they didn't come to read a blog. They came because they were looking for software. Since the ultimate goal of my site is to sell software, I see no reason to divert their attention.

So now I'm in the process of re-organization my site's architecture so that the links all flow from the information pages (blogs, articles) to the product-related areas of the site.

If I were blogging more about the subject domain related to my current and upcoming products, I might have it flow two-way. But since I'm not I decided the one-way flow would be best.