Thursday, October 4, 2007

In the Middle

This is not the beginning. This is the middle. Eventually I'd like to go back to the beginning and tell the whole story, but for now I'll start here. Here is an almost version 1.0 release of my software, Web Work Schedules. It is an online application for creating employee/staff/labor schedules. I just took the covers off it officially for the first time today when I asked the readers of the Business of Software forum (of Joel on Software) to review it for me. Its amazing what you don't see after looking at software for months on end. Some very big missing pieces on the website. For example, no where did I actually say that it was an online application for creating employee schedules. So I've got some work to do. Some of the issues are pretty minor and I can clean up quickly. Some are are going to take a bit more time to think about. The biggest issue is that at the heart of things I write code. That's what I'm good at. But to make this endeavor succesful, I'm going to need to improve my business, marketing and sales skills.

Luckily there is a lot on the web to learn from. I'm learning a lot from fellow MicroISVers. I read their blogs regularly and have read enough that I have a long task list of things I need to do based on their experiences.

No comments: