Thursday, November 1, 2007

A Downside to Desktop applications

One major downside to desktop applications is that you don't know if users are actually using the applications. With web applications, you control their access since they have to go through your web server. Even if you don't have logins, you can use a number of tools to track users, or at least know that X people are using my software.

I know I can add a calling home feature, but as a user I don't really like those. I have a fire wall that only allows certain software to access the internet and I get very suspicious when software that has no business getting online asks for permission to do so. Unless I know why it needs it (i.e. its an SFTP client) then I deny the request. I don't like the idea of software reporting on me.

One way around this is to have a check for updates function. That is pretty widely accepted and I'll think I do that. It's still not quite the same because you never know for sure if they are using it.

The real issue is I'm close to having several major changes wrapped up and I want to know if anyone downloaded the app is actually using it. I'm guessing not, because the trial was limited to 25 issues and I have not received any requests to a real key yet. If no one is using it, then I don't have to worry about saying that data in the last version will be lost. I could write a converter tool, but that is time that I don't want to waste. In the future I will either ensure the data format is backwards compatible, or have an import tool that will be able to import the old data.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Then add an HTTP component to your desktop app. Most desktop apps are becoming hybrids to incorporate the internet. To me that's the best of both worlds. You own your data AND you benefit from the network effect.

Anonymous said...

There is at least one reason that a desktop app would want to access the internet - updates. Make sure that the request features the user's id.

Tim
agilemicroisv.com

Chris said...

Good idea Tim. I had the same idea adn that is the next thing I'm going to add, probably on Monday. I'm trying to decide if I should automatically do it on startup, or just have a menu item to let them manually do it. Either way I plan to incorporate checking for updates which will help provide a pulse on how many people are using it.