Monday, December 3, 2007

Usability - trimming excess white space

I've noticed one thing with applications and it is beginning to annoy me. If you send me an email with a string that I need to paste into a form (on the web or in a desktop application) you should know by now that there is going to be an extra space at the end of it. I don't know the point in history when applications started including that space when you try to highlight a word, but you know it is going to happen, so check for it and remove it.

Actually for any input you should do this. For example if you ask the user for a URL, where you know that it is not valid for the extra space to be there, simply check for it and remove it. Don't tell me that the URL in invalid and make me paste the same string again and then delete the space myself.

This small usability issue will make the overall user experience better and it is one line of code to trim off the excess white space.

No comments: